The arrival of spring has homeowners itching to get out and green up their lawns. While spring lawn care is an essential step in growing a healthy lawn, hasty application of fertilizers and herbicides may harm grass in the long run. Don’t stress over timing and application. Instead, allow the experienced professionals at Lawn Plus LLC take the guesswork out of cultivating a healthy lawn.
Timing Is Everything
The sight of brown grass during early spring can be disheartening. Still, applying fertilizer and herbicides at the first sign of spring is not a good idea. Fertilizing frozen soil is a waste of resources and can lead to harmful runoff that damages local water supplies. Furthermore, fertilizing too early in the season can lead to lush top growth at the expense of root development. Alternatively, waiting for the ground to thaw before applying fertilizer encourages healthy root and top growth.
At Lawn Plus, we know that every lawn is unique and requires individualized attention. We also understand the impact that weather has on our lawns. As such, our experienced lawn care professionals will wait until the time is right to treat your lawn in the spring. Sometime between the second week of March and the end of April, based upon weather and soil conditions, we will begin treating your lawn according to its needs.
Annual Fertilization Program
Our knowledgeable crew are experts at fertilizing lawns. We use granular, slow release fertilizer which feeds the lawn for six to eight weeks at a time, therefore allowing us to do fewer applications. A typical fertilization schedule looks something like this:
- Early Spring – A well-balanced fertilizer is applied along with pre-emergent for crabgrass control.
- Late Spring/Early Summer – Fertilizer is used on your lawn along with broadleaf weed control.
- Grub Control – We recommend grub and surface insect control for season-long protection from damage.
- Late Summer/Early Fall – Fertilization and broadleaf control will bring your lawn back to its lush, green appearance that sometimes fades during the heat of summer.
- Late Fall/Early Winter – Fertilization prepares your lawn for winter and for a quicker green-up in the spring.
Set your lawn up for a healthy year of growth with fertilization services from Lawn Plus. Located in West Alexandria, we serve Dayton, Eaton, and the Miami Valley. For more information, contact us at (937) 839-5296.